Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Queen of 1001 blogs Starts a New Blog

I've lost count of how many blogs I've started over the years, but here I am just a few days into another new year starting yet another blog.

This going to be a year of changes for me. One of the biggest being returning to university to embark on a new career. Early next month (February 2008) I will be starting classes to study a Bachelor of Nursing. I'm alternately scared and excited about it - although I think even the scariness has a sense of excitement to it.

I wonder how the things that are important to me are going to impact on my studies and my ability to work as a nurse, but for the first time in years I feel like I am starting on the right career path. I spent a lot of time researching schools and asking how their programs fit in with my own ethics - especially in relation to animal rights. Far too many schools still see animal dissections to be an essential part of studies in health and medicine (and that's not even starting to consider veterinary or other studies) - although most of the schools I contacted seemed to be willing to accommodate my ethical objections to participating in what I can only see as abuse.

Apart from starting to study nursing I'm going to be a bridesmaid to one of my wonderful friends (and obviously to her wonderful partner - who is also a great friend) who is getting married later in the year.

I'm also working towards some goals musically. I've been playing bass for a couple of years now and love free improvisation/avant garde/new music and am working towards playing my own music for an audience at some point this year.

So welcome to the blog of a vegan nursing student, a girl bassist, a woman with a mental illness, a believer in animal and human rights, a feminist, a lover of tea and so much more... A journey into a new life accompanied by wonderful friends, some great family and my furry children (in the form of guinea pigs)...

1 comment:

Robot Dancers said...

I applaud anyone who decides to further their education. I'm envious!:)

Good luck!